This is a campaign from AVALON, der Notruf- & Beratungsstelle gegen sexuelle Gewalt e.V. in cooperation with the University of Bayreuth, as well as the Opferhilfeverein Weißer Ring e.V., during the winter and summer semester 2016/17 on campus.
Date rape drugs have been used at times to commit rape, other sexual offences and robbery. They are not only a breach of physical and psychological integrity, but also damage the victims' sense of security and entail serious consequences.
Date rape drugs are usually administered unnoticed into drinks. The drug a mixture of several substances, wich are generally odourless and tasteless and have, depending on the dosis, a damping up to a narcotic effect. It is also called ‚liquid ecstasy’. These substances have in common that they initially limit the ability to move and to act, before the effect of a deep, coma like sleep up to unconsciousness occurs. In conjunction with other substances, for example alcohol, date rape drugs can be fatal.
The admixture of date rape drugs often happens in bars and at parties, on public festivals, as well as at private functions and get-togethers. They also have been used in partner relationships and for the sexual abuse of children.
(Young) women, as well as (young) men are the target group of the campaign. Our mixed campaign team wants to encourage that women and men look out for one another and help each other, for example, in case of suspicion of date rape drugs inside their group of friends.
The most important message of the campaign is: take care of yourself and others!
To protect yourself if a suspicion of date rape drugs exists, we have the following tips:
- Read up and inform yourself on this subject and talk to your friends about it.
- Keep an eye on your drink, and get yourself a new one in case of doubt.
- Never accept an open drink from someone you do not trust.
- Tell your friends or the staff if you feel ill or unwell.
- Take care of friends who seem like they have had too much to drink or are acting strangely.
- Do not hesitate to leave a club or party if you do not feel safe.
- If you fear that someone gave you date rape drugs, save a urine sample (in a fridge or freezer).
- Immediately contact a hospital or the police.
Contact and information:
Miriam Bauch, Head of the Equal Oppoertunities Department
- Consultation for victimsHide
- Measures (in German)Hide
- Extensive informations (in German)Hide